Thursday

Psych(ot)ic

This is hard for me to admit, but about two weeks ago I went to see a psychic on the Lower East Side. I picked three tarot cards, told the psychic my zodiac sign, handed her my palm, took a deep breath and hoped for the best. It was my first palm reading... and it was weird. Apart from informing me that I've already met my soulmate, I'll be dead at 83 and that I desperately need to allign my solar plexus, the psychic notified me that I, too, have the gift of foresight. Naturally, I decided to investigate this new potential career route.

Though most people think psychics are hacks (and rightfully so), there's no denying the cunning in their business model. Psychics offer help in the areas that people struggle with most: career, love, money, future and happiness, and when you're targeting a group of consumers who are desperate to believe what you're telling them, the opportunities to make money are almost limitless. There are no national statistics on the business of psychics, but I found that the average price of a psychic phone consultation ranges from about $2-$10 per minute, while the average in-person consultation can cost anywhere from $200-$500 an hour. My own 10 minute palm reading cost me $25... though I can apparently see into the future I sure as hell didn't see that one coming.
Poker Face
Though I definitely took what she told me with a grain of salt, I will aquiesce that I was caught off guard by a handful of specific details the psychic knew about me. While some things she said were completely off the mark, a better part was eerily accurate and I found myself hanging on her every word.  I even would have been inclined to believe her when she told me I'll be a millionaire if she hadn't immediately followed it up with an attempt to sell me $300 worth of candles.

Nice try, lady.

4 comments:

  1. A psychic once told me that I "went to small community school close to home and was in a long term relationship with the person I was going to marry." Lololol. Extrasensory perception must be off on the Jersey Shore board walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not be surprised if a Jersey Shore psychic was just a tad off mark hahahahaha

      Delete
  2. I got my fortune read in a bar once. Nothing she said came true! But I still sort of believe in that kind of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to admit it but I'm a believer too! Especially astrology, I have all the hallmark characteristics of my zodiac sign.

      Delete